Welcome to my photography page. I’ve always pursued photography as a hobby and in 2007, my work appeared on the website of a Bogotá, Colombia-based independent media company, Yuma Videocine. One of my greatest passions is travel and, as you will see, that is where a lot of my inspiration comes from. I will definitely add more photos as I take them.
I started off with a point and shoot camera, graduated to a 14.2 megapixel Nikon 3100 DSLR (which was unfortunately stolen on a trip to Panama), and now use a Canon EOS Rebel T3i, which is 18 megapixels. I also snap away with my iPhone 6. You can follow me on Instagram: @ShannonLeeGilstad
I’ve also volunteered as the Social Media Director for New York City Parks Department’s GreenTeam, including photographing events and posting snapshots in real-time. My photography is very inspired by my community, the Bronx, and the travel I have done. Since I was a teenager, I’ve been deeply inspired by photo journalists/sociologists Mel Rosenthal, Camilo José Vergara, Lisa Kahane, and Seis del Sur, among others.
I hope you enjoy the photos as much as I enjoyed taking them.
Whom I’ve Captured
- Former NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg
- Rapper/Producer Doug E. Fresh
- Caridad “La Bruja” De La Luz
- Baron Ambrosia
- NBA player Metta World Peace (formerly known as Ron Artest)
- Members of NYC Assembly and Council
- NYS Senate
- Queens Borough President Melinda Katz
- Reginald L. Barnes, Actor, Host/Emcee, and Comedian
- DJ G-Bo the Pro
- DJ Hot Day, WBLS 107. 5
Whom I’ve Photographed For
- NYC Parks & Recreation
- East Side House Inc.
- Urban Upbound (formerly East River Development Alliance)
- South Bronx Unite
- Yuma Videocine (on location in Colombia)
You can now purchase greeting cards, postage stamps, and other products with my my photography printed on them. Have a favorite photo of mine that you’d like to see on a card or stamp? Send me your feedback.